Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Moab or Bust!!

Girl's Camp in my ward was scheduled for the first week in June this year, and as the days grew nearer, some very wise Camp leaders determined that the 5 FEET OF SNOW that was covering even the very roads up to the camp would not melt in only 4 days, so it was postponed. However, seeing as how I had already requested that week off at work, Gio and I decided that this would be the perfect time for our first impromptu road trip/camping trip of the summer! And what better place than warm, sunny, beautiful Moab?! I had never been, so we were pretty excited. This was actually the first time that we tried the MREs. We also used our last gift card from our wedding to buy a new camping stove called the JetBoil system. When we first used the new stove, I was pretty frustrated because we could not get the thing to work! It has a feature where you just press a button and it sparks and ignites the gas. It's really cool and handy when it actually does work! But the first morning we were there it was so cold that it wouldn't spark. And of course, we forgot to bring matches! :) That's a bit of a joke for us now because everytime we've gone camping together we've forgotten to bring matches, one of the most important things. And Gio's an Eagle Scout! But by the time it warmed up a bit, the stove was great and it has worked wonderfully ever since.


We left Provo pretty late, so when we got down to Moab, ate dinner, and found a campsite it was already pitch dark. We just put up our tent and crashed. The next morning, like I was saying, was freezing, so I woke up early (around 5:30) and couldn't get warm enough to go back to sleep. Instead of fighting it, I went outside and to my surprise we had pitched our tent not 15 feet from the Colorado River! It was so beautiful! I let Gio sleep a little longer while I took pictures.



We went fishing that day at Ken's Lake and caught NOTHING, so we decided to pack up and go for a hike close to the lake that takes you up to some waterfalls. We saw some gorgeous plants and flowers along the way.



The next day we drove up to Arches National Park to check out the delicate arch. I was really excited to hike up and see this, and since we didn't get up there til almost sundown, we had to book it up the trail so we wouldn't have to walk back in the dark! It was well worth it, though. When we got to the top, it was so windy that I felt like I would get blown off the side if I wasn't careful. There was one lady who kept screaming things in German and wouldn't take a step for fear she would fall off. Her husband kept screaming back and pushing her because she was blocking everyone's way. I felt so bad for her!





We headed home early the next morning after having a lovely oatmeal breakfast, cooked on our lovely stove which sparked on the first try! Lovely!




All in all, it was a GREAT trip and we had a lot of fun!

3 comments:

Cheyn said...

Nice pics Tess! That is close to my home and I have never even camped in Moab or seen that arch. I bet moab would be an interesting place to geo-cash

Emily Marie said...

You're supposed to tell me when you have a blog! Yay, I'm excited to read all about the Paoli's life! And I'm honored that the Lemmonlife blog made it on your list. Ahhh.... :)

Emily Marie said...

Hi again - you need to blog again so I can see what you guys are up to! I miss you!