Saturday, January 16, 2010

Announcing: January's Sculpture Project

So, now that it's halfway through January, I've finally decided what I want to do for my January sculpture project, my first official project of the year not including finishing projects started in 2009.  I'm making a jewelry tree.  Currently most of my jewelry is in a plastic bag, so I thought I would give it a good home.  I don't have any "real" jewelry (i.e. diamonds, gold, silver, etc.), just "costume" type jewelry, but I still want a cool place to keep it other than a bag where everything gets tangled and broken.  In fact, if I didn't have a hot glue gun, one of my favorite pairs of earrings would be in the trash can right now because of that stupid bag!  So, tonight I made the armature, or skeleton, for the tree so it would be strong and sturdy enough to hold the weight of the jewelry.  Here's a picture:




As soon as I can get my hands on another block of clay, I will mold it around the branches to give it a realistic look.  I'm going to add some leaves and puncture small holes along the edges of the leaves to hang my earrings on.  It should turn out pretty cool.  I'll post a picture of the final project when I'm finished.  I'm excited to be making something creative AND practical!  Oh, and the base is just an old circular saw blade that my cousin donated to me for some other project I never got around to doing.  :)  I'm going to leave the blade showing to add some interest. It also adds a touch of irony and perhaps a bit of an environmental statement that the "tree" will be growing through the hole of a saw blade.  Deep.  You can call me a tree-hugger now.

No comments: