Friday, January 8, 2010

We eat our vegetables...

In keeping with my goal of trying a new recipe every week (so that I can broaden my food horizons and practice my cooking), I decided to try eggplant lasagna. I have made regular lasagna and it turned out really good, so I thought I would try it with eggplant slices instead of noodles. It actually tasted pretty good. To be honest, I was hesitant, but I really liked it! Here's the process and the finished product (the pictures probably don't do it justice, especially if you don't like eggplant):


So that's that...week one: a success. Why eggplant lasagna? I'm not sure. It seems like lately I've had a fascination with vegetables. It amazes me that you can put a seed in the ground and several months later have this perfectly packaged beautiful piece of FOOD! It really is so complex and yet nature does all the work...we just pick it up at the grocery store (or if you're really cool, grow it in your backyard). With so many thousands of processed food products available to us, it's sometimes easy to forget about the vegetables. But how wonderful is nature that the very same things that are good for our bodies grow right out of the ground?? What are we doing spending time and money fabricating what nature already got right? C'mon, people, vegetables are where it's at.

By the way, Tillamook ice cream is also where it's at. Check it out....dessert at the Paoli's: Cookies and Creeeeeeeeeeeeam!

2 comments:

Ann and the Reidster said...

Where have I been? I didn't know Tillamook made ice cream!!
Your sculptures are awesome! Love the physics chess set!

Tess said...

Thanks Ann! Yeah, you have to try the Tillamook ice cream! They have all kinds of yummy flavors, but we've only ever tried the Cookies and Cream and the Chocolate Mudslide. Soooo good! :) The only place we've ever seen it is at WinCo, though.